Moeder Gods Church

HISTORY

The Church of the Mother of God (or Our Lady Church) on the Keizersgracht in Amsterdam, where the Syrian Orthodox have been established since 1965, was bought by Roman Catholic monks in 1985. Until this day there by both sides, Syrian Orthodox and Catholics, and everyone according to their own rite and tradition, prays. The Mother of God Church is truly adapted to the glory of God brightly colored icons and murals, beautiful stylized images, gorgeous windows and long and high archways. After a restoration in the period 1994-1997, the Mother of God Church entitled to the Dutch monument.
Date (August 2007) the church community consists of about 100-110 families, and about 400-450 Syrian Orthodox Christians. The community is under the spiritual guidance of Abuna Samuel Abdullah, from the city Kamishli in northern Syria.

The Holy Virgin Mary

The Syrian Orthodox Church confesses that the Holy Mary of her father Joachim and her mother Anna was born in Original Sin. She was then cleansed from original sin when the Holy Spirit descended on her; that the Word of God lived in her body and was born of her; and that she is the Mother of God (Theotokos or Yoldath Aloho). The memorial day (Syriac: Duchrono) of the Virgin Mary on August 15.

Address:

The Syrian Orthodox Church Mother of God

Keizersgracht 220

1016 DZ Amsterdam

Tel: 020-6694696

Web site: www.moedergodskerk.nl

Priest: Raban Saliba Antony

Regular gebedstijden:

Saturday 17:00 to 17:45 Vespers (during wintertime 16:00) Sunday from 8:45 to 11:00 a.m. Mass