History

History of the Monastery

In 1981 the monastery was headed by occasionally Mor Julius Cicek Jesu taken over by the Syrian Orthodox community and the monastery was consecrated in 1984 by Moran Mor Ignatius Zakai Iwas the first Patriarch of Antioch and all the East. In 1994 the new Cathedral of the Blessed Virgin Mary was, devoted Mother of God, again by the Patriarch, in the presence of almost all the bishops and priests and about 15,000 faithful of the Syrian Orthodox community.

St. Olaf – monastery, so this monastery was under Glane known, was founded in 1911 by Norwegian sisters of the Congregation of St. Joseph of Chambery. The sisters gave the house the name of St. Olaf, king of Norway. In 1921 the monastery was taken over by the Dutch Province of the Society of Mary (Marist Fathers). In World War II the monastery was occupied by the German army units and the nuns were accommodated in private homes. In 1964, the second and third floor and built a small chapel with accompanying rooms. When the seminary was closed in 1970, the textile company Van Heek-Scholco hired Losser the monastery for the accommodation of Turkish guest workers. Van Heek-Realty example bought the property in 1974.

The monastery serves as a new center for the community and houses a cemetery. The monastery has a publishing house, which in the meantime has issued more than 120 theological and cultural books. Since 1978 the monastery publishes a magazine called “KOLO Suryoyo”. The monastery sits Glane since April 29, 2007 the Archbishop Polycarpus Augin Aydin and is home to a few monks and nuns.

Begrafplaats

Syrian Orthodox cemetery

Mor Ephrem Klooster (Olaf Klooster) in 1910

Mor Ephrem Monastery (Olaf Monastery) in 1910

Mor Ephrem Klooster (Olaf Klooster) in 1910

Mor Ephrem Monastery (Olaf Monastery) in 1910

Mor Ephrem Klooster (Olaf Klooster) in 1910

Mor Ephrem Monastery (Olaf Monastery) in 1910